Take Your Bodywork Practice One Transformative Step Closer to Success
- Are you a massage therapist or body worker looking for a new skill set that will allow you to facilitate long-lasting change in your client’s life?
- Do you often have experiences with clients where you feel like something is missing in the session or their mental or emotional responses to the massage are beyond your scope of practice?
- Do you want to deepen your capacity to support a client’s ability to relax, decrease stress, and positively transform their relationship to their body, mind, emotions, and spirit?
- Lastly, do you find that often a clinical massage approach is often not completely resolving your clients’ physical complaints?
Then you may want to consider training in somatic therapy.
Transformative Touch is a somatic approach to bodymind healing emphasizing listening to and becoming aware of the body experience in the present moment. This approach combines a gentle touch with compassionate dialogue to support the client’s awareness of how the body mirrors or communicates what the mind, emotions, and spirit are experiencing. It illuminates how personal beliefs can often shape how we sit, stand, move, and speak.
This method’s focus is on increasing available movement options in the body and ,therefore, in life through supporting client awareness of sensation, posture, imagery, and personal narratives. When clients become more aware of what is going on inside their body they begin to develop a more authentic relationship with their self and spirit. This experience often promotes a deeper capacity for authentic change and inspires people to move through life guided by heart-centered principles and values.
Often a massage therapist or body worker experiences the “missing piece” after years of practicing manual therapy with their clients. What is discovered when working with some massage clients is that their physical symptoms may not be resolving through manual therapy alone. This phenomenon speaks to the inherent connection between the body and mind and illuminates the importance of integrating talk with touch. Many massage therapists and body workers report feeling frustrated that they don’t have the skills or the training to ethically support a massage client who may have an emotional experience when being touched. The Transformative Touch training provides an opportunity for the massage therapist and bodyworker to develop practical and ethical skills to support their clients’ mental and emotional experiences through the body. This skill set is important because it supports the whole being of the client.
The professional massage therapist or bodyworker who decides to seek training in Transformative Touch will learn and experience the following:
- Increase professional development and service options.
- Learn to facilitate understanding of the mind/body connection
- Learn about how and why emotions, memories, and beliefs are stored in the body
- Develop body listening skills (Kinesthetic empathy).
- Promote deep relaxation and decrease stress and tension with less physical effort.
- Promote available movement options in the body.
- Learn to ethically and safely combine touch and talk during a session.
- Promote a more holistic and integrated view of the human experience.
- Learn a gentler approach to bodywork. Perfect for therapists who are looking to shift their practice focus from clinical treatments/sports/deep tissue to a more subtle and energetic focus.
- Decrease risk of repetitive use injuries
- Learn how to facilitate awareness of sensation and posture.
- Learn how to facilitate true relaxation of the body and mind.
- Support resiliency and agency for your clients. Decreases dependency on manual therapies for physical relief from stress, injury, and tension.
- Learn transformative and simple self-care practices for the practitioner and client.
As a massage therapist, bodyworker, chiropractor, or Reiki practitioner, you work with people in pain.
- People come to you looking for relief.
- They come to you for you are the body fixer, the body mender, the energy shifter.
- They look to you to “fix them”or “align them” so they can move pain -free again.
This can be a very draining experience, especially when you work with those with chronic pain. Clients often come to you as a last resort, desperate for relief. Spoken or unspoken, they expect that you will take their pain away. That’s a lot of pressure on you! The physical and energetic demand is enormous!
Then what happens? You get exhausted.
It’s way too much on your own body and your energy level. You feel depleted & drained. You also feel frustrated that you can only provide temporary relief to your clients.
Permanent changes just aren’t happening. Your clients come back week after week with the same aches & pains. They’re stuck and they want you to fix them – and you can’t!
As a TT practitioner you will help your clients make the shift from seeing their body as a vehicle that takes them from place to place to knowing their body as their greatest resource.
You will gently guide them to change their relationship with their body – and to begin to view & treat it as a friend and an ally. They will learn that they have a major role to play . You will teach them to Awaken the wisdom of their body. To LISTEN to it.
Donald Epstein said, “Listen to the whispers of your body, so it doesn’t have to scream at you.”
Body as Resource
Our bodies are a rich resource- a true “ body of knowledge”. Our bodies have been with us at every event of our lives. Every experience we have ever had as a human being has been through one or more of our senses: seeing – hearing- touching- tasting- smelling.
Our body holds the story of our life. We need to “listen to it”. We need to pay attention to its sensations – for sensations are the language of the body. As a Somatic therapist you will invite & teach your clients how to listen. You will help them to tune into themselves through their bodies.
Working with the body in this way is gentle and easeful. You end your day feeling enlivened rather than depleted.
Transformative Touch offers you that missing piece. We teach you the tools and skills to engage all aspects of your clients.
You will be able to address the emotions that arise when you touch. You will know how to dialogue with, and guide your client, to the place of wholeness. Everything that goes on in the body (sickness, illness, stress, pain) has got everything to do with how we think, how we feel, and how we live in the world.